Tuesday 9 April 2013

Week 6

Tuesday - Clinic in the morning, saw some interesting cases - a lid laceration, cataract, CMV retinitis, corneal ulcer from bacterial contact lens damage.

King's Park in the afternoon for a very hot day of sunbathing. Lovely. Could get used to this...

Wednesday - Woke up at 12pm, oops. I have no idea how or why. I went to bed at normal time and wasn't overly tired. Normally I'm up at 9ish, which was the plan. 12 was a bit of a shock!

So much for the revision I'd planned for the morning. Sent them an email explaining the situation - they were fine with it and gave advice by email instead, because they are amazingly friendly.

Determined to make something productive of the day remaining, I did laundry and other jobs, went to the wifi park for some sun, and had dinner at Cafe Italia. Best carbonara since... a long time. I have a lot to learn. Ridiculously friendly family-run Italian café, the main manager (Dad?) was the kind of stocky Italian chap who was genuinely friendly with all his customers, and liked shaking your hand and patting you on the back as you said hi. Immediately made you feel welcome. Excellent service and incredibly busy, definitely worth me getting there early. The frosted glass of Peroni was much enjoyed. Reasonable value too - $20 for the pasta. Amazing.

Thursday - Theatre in the morning as per usual, blepharoplasty and a basal cell carcinoma removal from the lower right lid. Excellent to watch. Lunch with the consultant and reg, said goodbye and thanks.

Went home, did some packing and revision with an aim to go over some things on Friday.

Friday - Revision didn't happen due to the staff not being around - all had other jobs to do that cropped up at the time which was a shame, as it meant I didn't get to see them before leaving. Prof came up and said goodbye though, which was very nice, and said to send more UK students his way if any were interested.

Home, more packing and sorting the room out for my early morning departure. Emptied the fridge, donated leftovers to mates, re-checked all my flight details and route planning etc. I'm obsessive about that kind of stuff. To the extent that I actually listed the bus journey steps vs. the taxi journey steps and compared the pros and cons of each, changing my mind twice.

Said my last goodbyes after watching Shawshank Redemption (amazing as always). Sorted my taxi for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment